14 April 2013

KING ÜBÜ ÖRCHESTRÜ "MÜNCHNER BIG BAND MEETING 1992"




What a (big) band - but quite contraire to Globe Unity, the LJCO or Sun Ra's Arkestra. Much more restrained  in their pace but with no less power or sophistication. Their improvisations were "lower-case" before it became something like a working method for a younger generation. Some have gone in this direction quite far - hear Radu Malfatti's output for the last 15 (or more) years.

They made four recordings. One LP, which is sadly OOP and three CDs.
The last one should at least be still available > here

As far as I know Wolfgang Fuchs is seriously ill...so the orchestra is defunct.
Hope he does well.....




KING ÜBÜ ÖRCHESTRÜ  "MÜNCHNER BIG BAND MEETING 1992"


Wolfgang Fuchs, bass clarinet, contrabass clarinet, sopranino sax
John Butcher, tenor & soprano saxophone
Luc Houtkamp, tenor saxophone
Günter Christmann, trombone
Radu Malfatti, trombone
Melvyn Poore, tuba
Phil Wachsmann, violin
Torsten Müller,bass 
Paul Lytton, percussion, electronics

1.   unknown title 32:15
2.   unknown title 17:10
3.  unknown title  09:28


Recorded at the Carl-Orff Saal, Gasteig, München, on December 11, 1992.

.

12 comments:

Ernst Grgo Nebhuth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
marten512 said...

Thank you very much indeed. I confess that I am only aware of King Ubu Orchestru thanks to the very wonderful 'Binaurality' so this is very welcome.

matt w said...

Thanks for this. I think I've never heard the Orchestru -- I thought I had, but I'm pretty sure I was mixing it up with the GrubenKlangOrchestra. Looking forward to it and best wishes to Fuchs.

wightdj said...

Quite a lineup, thanks.

Andy said...

Thanks Onx. I didn't know this one.

JD said...

Thank you very much!

luc houtkamp said...

Thanks for posting! I remember the concert very well, but didn't have a recording.
John Butcher replaced Peter van Bergen, who usually played in in this line up.

The only remark I have is that my name is written wrongly as Houtcamp, it's Houtkamp. But I'm used to this mistake... ;-)

Ernst Grgo Nebhuth said...

Hi Luc, thanks for your comment.
But you don't need getting too used to my mistake - I've corrected the spelling of your name...

luc houtkamp said...

Haha! Thanks...

Ernst Grgo Nebhuth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ernst Grgo Nebhuth said...

1fichier

Brewing Luminous said...

Great post!